Get Rid of Ants
There are more than 10,000 ant species that occur worldwide however only about 25 species commonly infest homes. Ants will eat practically any kind of food, but are especially attracted to sweets. Ants can live from several weeks to several years. Depending on the species, they can range in size from 1/12 to 1 inch (2 to 25 mm).
Ants are close relatives of bees and wasps and are can by identified by their three distinct body regions: head, thorax and abdomen, as well as antennae. (However, winged forms of ants, which leave the nest in large numbers in warm weather to mate and establish new colonies, are often mistaken for winged termites, which also leave their nests to mate and the two can be easily confused. However, shortly after their flights, both ants and termites lose their wings, so wings usually aren’t present.) Ants have a narrow “waist” between the abdomen and thorax, while termite’s body is not constricted and they have a broad waist. Ants also have large heads, elbowed antennae, and powerful jaws.
Getting rid of ants can be frustrating, contact Rugs 'n' Rats to make the process of removing ants in your home easy.
Ant Control Tips
- Determine what the ants are attracted to and remove the food source
- Vacuum trails, wipe them with soapy water, or spray with window cleaner
- Locate entry points then caulk openings or plug with petroleum jelly
- Put out bait stations or apply gel bait at entry points
- Wipe away the ants with a soapy sponge
- Pour boiling water over the ant mounds
- Treat your yard with an insecticide
- Store food in airtight containers
- Clean your kitchen after each meal
- Squish the scouts to keep other ants out